banner

banner

Saturday, April 6, 2013

In Which Purple Hair got me a Promotion

Yep, here comes a hair post.

Around Christmas, I put some purple on my hair. Not straight purple, I mixed some purple on with darker brown. It was a big deal--I'd never died my hair before. I even took my friend Mandy for moral support. The purple was just fun to me, but others cautioned that I would have trouble at work or that I would regret it.

There were three reasons I did it: I was bored; I was feeling a bit boring; and I was bored. Ok, two reasons.

Michael warmed up to it right away. Even my mom liked it, kinda.

That night I got a little nervous about going to work. I felt that my hair was news-worthy enough that I would be fielding comments about it all day. Turns out, work was craaaazy weird. Why you ask? Because nobody said. a. word. I got one 'evil twin' comment from the building manager, but my coworkers were mum. It was weird and spiked my paranoia reflex. It also made me wonder if I was so self obsessed that I was just walking around begging for attention. What was next? Short skirts? Tennis shoes that light up when you walk? Wearing a Wisconsin Cheesehead? All my thoughts were a little frantic and then I remembered -- these people are the crazy ones. When I think about it, I shouldn't have been surprised that my coworkers behaved a little crazily.

The next day, the president of the company asked me who did my hair and told me she thought it was a nice change. Then she said that she thought I handled myself well around my coworkers who were behaving oddly and offered me a promotion, a raise, and a fancy Human Resources title. Do you need a moral? If you are strange about your coworkers' purple hair you might just get past up for a promotion.

I told this story to my hair dresser today and she was stoked. She said she should print it on her business cards.

Here's my hair a few weeks after dying it. Well, the beard and eyebrows are added--in case you couldn't tell--but it's a pretty accurate image of the hair color. 


My hair is now back to brown in preparation for my wedding day fantasies. Maybe I'm not so bored anymore (although I did cut bangs to keep me interested), or maybe I don't feel the need to climb the corporate ladder this month.

So, go do it. Dye it up!



No comments: