banner

banner

Monday, February 4, 2013

Degrees of Kneading

My best (and only) New Year's Resolution was to make bread. Michael has joined me in this task, partially because I only have time to bread-it-up on Sundays when we're both home, and partially because he likes to read out loud from recipe books(?). He was reading aloud from the classic "Beard in Bread" a few weeks ago and he said something that I can't get out of my head. This is actually the third time I've tried to blog about it; I keep starting, deciding I haven't figured it out yet, and quitting. But, if grad school taught me nothing else, I learned to start writing even when I have no idea what I'm talking about. He read, 'with experience you will discover the right degree of kneading.' I'm not savvy enough about bread yet to have immediately associate this with working bread dough, so I heard:

With experience you will discover the right degree of needing.

I've been working on this concept lately. I think needing someone or something is terrifying. That's probably why the D.A.R.E. program worked on me, and one of the reasons I shy away from religion. As I adjust into the concept of marriage and explore other kinds of needs, like the need to provide for my mini MichaelMooseSarah family, I think that learning, and perhaps for me accepting, degrees of need will be one of my biggest challenges.

I'm loving this phrase though; it's all tied up in working and being patient, which seems to be the key to both bread and a balance. I also like the wordplay. P

Maybe now I can blog about something else, or I could start a new program called 'Bake bread and muse with Sarah'.

What do you knead?




No comments: