banner

banner

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The saddest story ever told.

My name is Sarah and I once had a blockbuster problem. I spent way to much money there one summer--it's bad news when the employees know your account number. Anyway, I didn't want to fall into that trap again so I'm renting exclusively from the library. It's free, close to my house and checking my hold items gives me something to do on the internet. I may break down and netflix next term, because getting mail is like Christmas morning (and I'll still have something to do on the internet).

Anyway, I've developed a fondness for the Eugene library. I read the New York Times, I listen to NPR and I frequent the public library; I am an old person.

Yesterday I was enjoying the wifi and browsing movies when alarms went off. The sirens seemed crazily loud since libraries are supposed to be quiet. Everyone trucked outside while librarians ran around, looking for fire. Turns out a kid (who was caught about two minutes later) had lit a match under the smoke detector. I walked back in the building and saw a dripping librarian tearfully explaining that the sprinklers had come on in the Children's Books section before they could shut the alarm off.

What a punk. That's like stealing walkers from the elderly, or going to the humane society to remind the animals that no one wants them. Man alive...

No comments: