banner

banner

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ride the wave

I went on a little trip with the boys these past three days. Disclaimer: Three days, no shower = not so cute Sarah

The Players:
 Michael, squinting

 Jackson, reading a map/ taking notes for his travel journal/ looking for treasure

 Me, riding the wave

 Rusty, surveying his kingdom

 Derek, in the distance on top of something

Although I felt a little bit like a scout master most of the time (Rusty was by far the best behaved) and it wasn't actually warm (in fact it snowed leaving the tent damp and freezing), overall the trip to Southern Utah was fun. I didn't take my camera on our first hike, but I'm sort of glad I didn't because I took so many pictures on the other two. Because it's a protected area, permits to the wave are nigh impossible to obtain--they only allow 20 people a day. We lost on our first try.  But, I guess we're lucky because on day two, our number was picked out of 52 applications. Holla! In fact our number was picked first. Michael and I sort of looked at each other and made a "Well, I didn't expect that to happen" shrug and grinned. We waited till we were out of ear shot of the losers to celebrate.

I will attack you with pictures now. You ought to double click on some of them.  


I took these on the side of the road. in the snow. after we ran out of gas. seven miles shy of Kanab. It was sort of a comedy of errors really. A kindly couple from Illinois took pity on us and shuttled us to a gas station a few miles down the road. Jackson and Derek rode into town while the lady gave them advice like "never run out of gas" or "don't pick up hitchhikers" and "you know, there are places that you can go hiking where you don't have to win the lottery." She predicated all of these statements with "As a mother..." What an interesting way to veil criticism. I'm glad they helped us though.

Paria Canyon:






Look at those clouds! It was windy so they were moving really quickly. I think this is what they mean when country stars sing about wide open spaces.

The Wave:




 I think rock elves live in this little house.




 Ignore that thing in the back. I'm not sure what I was going for, but I love this Michael face.




Good work team.

I'm going to go sleep in my heated bed now. Maybe I'll take two showers tomorrow...

1 comment:

Dean Taylor said...

Love the photos, Sarah! Looks like you guys must have had a great time! Hope your mom, dad, Barb, and I have the same luck with the permit in a couple weeks! You have to fill me in on where to find and how to get to the eroded base of the wall by the stream bed...Neat!