banner

banner

Monday, May 16, 2011

Identity Crisis

Michael and I read the Eugene weekly as usual and decided to go to a wildflower festival outside of town. Remix: I make Michael do things so as to avoid my homework.

We, finally, found the arboretum and got in a line of cars for parking. Most of the them were Hybrid Prius, with a few running on bioethenal. Then we spotted another line of cars--not cars, trucks with American flag decals, towing trailers. Little did we know, the wagons were full of civil war reenactment gear. Large signs read "Civil War! -->" We were at a crossroads. Naturally, we parked in the middle and went to both. I feel the need to report that the wildflower visitors were required to walk a half a mile, while the civil war spectators had a shuttle bus. Of course.


Round One: A Nature Walk with Tom




We learned about the destructive nature of geraniums and Douglas Firs, and the sexual practices of maple trees. Quote of the hour? "When male plants can't find any female plants, the tree drops them, since there's no point in fertilizing yourself." Here I am, tree hugging.


 We were accompanied by a family with a little girl in a bucket hat (aka me, age five), a few older ladies and a woman wearing a raccoon tail, as if that was a valid option. We also learned that Michael must have great eye contact, because when ever we go on one of these things, the guide talks directly to him. He handles the attention by nodding wide-eyed with discomfort and standing behind me. It was a beautiful place--it doesn't seem fair for one place to be so green. We also really liked the "Human-powered vending machine." So much so, that Michael bought a banana. I considered getting my face painted, but I didn't want to look like a target for our next event.


 Round Two: Civil War Reenactment

Let's just say there was no organic fruit at the civil war reenactment, the "Coexist" bumper stickers changed to "Not my President," and suddenly suspenders were in fashion. I'll stop, before someone accuses me of stereotyping. We walked through the camps before the battle (oddly, they never said which battle it was...) and witnessed a child being recruited by a Union soldier while they stood in line for the porter potty. 


I used all my best Gone With the Wind jokes and sang songs from Cold Mountain, and we took our seats. The children all around were either terrified or giggling. Come to think of it, so was I.

The kid next to me was pretty into it. Quote of the hour? "I think the blue teams going to win, Grandpa."  The canons were outrageously loud. 


I have some shoddy camera work here when the canon goes off (sorry, it was scary). Michael's busy pointing out historical inaccuracies.


The dialog from the soldiers included "Medic, help this lieutenant!" and "We're going to need more ammo, general." One man repeatedly yelled, "Arrrrgggg" from the Union side.


No one died for the first twenty minutes, but then people started dropping. I think I would be great at dying. Put me in coach. 

This is the Confederate last stand, the fighting's getting closer to the audience. My favorite soldier is the portly gentlemen with a pistol who gets in there at the last second. The horsemen with the floppy hat is also entertaining.

 

Big thanks to the city of Eugene for accommodating our eclectic interests. Pretty good day. That banana was delicious.

No comments: