banner

banner

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Our San Francisco Treat

Last weekend Michael and I met my parents in San Francisco to visit the Harpers. Everything went really well, except for the trip to the airport. Michael's brother-in-law volunteered to drive us to the airport (at 5am, mind you) and while we were busy looking at Portland in the dark (which is very pretty), we missed the airport exit. After circling around a few times, we almost missed it again when Seth decided to go for it! Only to discover a that there was in fact a median between us and the exit. 
Dang. 

The "Incident Response" vehicle saved us since the jack didn't work, but it wasn't quite fast enough. Michael and I ended up being too late to check-in to our flight (even though we were through security and in line at Starbucks before our flight actually left) and the car ended up with some new rims. Sorry about that, Seth and Jen. We actually considered running down a shoddy hill and climbing a chain-link fence to get to the Orbiz next to the freeway. "Can we call a cab and ask them to pick us up on a freeway on ramp?" Oh, dear. Moral: print our your boarding passes before you get to the airport so you can make a run for it, and leave early enough to accommodate popped tires and broken jacks.

At least they didn't charge us and put us on the next flight a few hours later. The rest of the trip was great--even when Michael and I borrowed my cousin's car and drove around the city. Its time like that when I really miss the Utah grid system.

The Harpers whisked us straight to a winery--always a good idea after a stressful morning--and we sat outside in the eighty degree weather. Michael was supposed to be arguing about punctuation in a meeting and I was supposed to be giving a midterm, so we were in rather good moods. Unfortunately, Michael and I did not have a picture where we both look good at the same time on our whole trip. This picture is a Michael fail. 

We made it to Muir woods right before it closed. Yes, it is strange that woods can "close." This tree was about 2000 years  old. Whaaa?

Sarah fail. 

On the way to Alcatraz.


Lovely, isn't it? I can't imagine how cold it must have been at night. The prisoners would sleep on their elbows and knees to save body heat. Gah.

 The Harpers came to Alcatraz with us! Dick had never been. I guess it takes a tourist to show you the city.


 Ok, this one is actually pretty good. Although, I'm not sure when I got pregnant.


We met my Uncle Dean and his family at the SFMoMA and all relaxed at the sculpture garden. Everyone tried to convince Michael that the San Fran weather was always eighty degrees and clear. 

 The next day Michael and I walked along Chrisy Field and saw all the dogs--there are more dogs that children in the city. I think this shot could probably be on a brochure somewhere.

 Extreme Sarah Fail. I told you there weren't any good couple pictures. Maybe I could photoshop in a new head. I like my new bangs, but there supposed to be sweep-to-the-side bangs, not in-my-eyes-promoting-a-grimace bangs.


San Francisco was lovely. My only regret was that we had to go home. Thanks family for hosting, transporting us to the airport and saving us from grad school for a couple of days!

No comments: