banner

banner

Friday, December 2, 2011

Have Yourself a Merry Little Research Trip

Well.... I passed my thesis proposal. "Approved as Submitted." What amazingly, lovely words. I have a million tests to grade and one paper to start and finish in three days, but one week from today I'll be in New York. My department is funding me to go to New York for 6 days for research. I'm so happy that I have my study abroad experience because I know before my France trip I would have been a little nervous to travel alone in the big bad city. Now all I think is, "Well, at least everyone will be speaking English."

I'm scared to mention the name of my artist, because google will track down my blog. Google mocks me with its power. So, let's just say it rhymes with ShmIbram ShmLassaw. I'm really looking forward to actually encountering the sculptures that I've been writing about for months.

 
I have meetings at MoMA, the MET and the Whitney. His daughter also invited me to visit his studio and stay with her for a night in East Hampton (swanky, eh?). I might get to interview his wife who just turned 97. I also get to visit the Jackson Pollock/Lee Krasner  House which is just down the street, to meet with the curators there. I've heard you have to wear little booties to walk into the studio barn. I'm stoked. I'm sure you, blog reader, are stoked to see pictures of my booties. The trip is all business and such, but I'm so glad that I'll get to see the big tree at Rockefeller Center and Christmas in New York...and wear booties. There's something so romantic about the idea of jumping from museum to museum everyday with a little city exploring mixed in, grabbing takeout and doing some writing. All this geeking our shouldn't be allowed for such a serious research trip, but I'm going to be smiling on my walk from museum to museum and then I'll put my mock turtleneck on and get back to business. I stopped reading the NY Times' "Weekend" section and the New Yorkers' "Upcoming Events" a long time ago since reading about the gallery and museum openings was always so depressing. This week, I'm going to read them all.

2 comments:

Karissa said...

Wowie! That sounds incredible. I'm way excited for you! Maybe a little jealous. Maybe a lot of jealous. Really though that's super cool. I'm way excited to see a picture of those booties.

Vienna said...

Man. I am definitely a lot jealous. I hope (now that I've stumbled upon your blog in return) that you blog extensively about this when you get back.