banner

banner

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Rethinking Leia

In a moment of spontaneity, with the encouragement of my fellow classmates, in the bliss of summer I chose to submit a picture of myself dressed as Princess Leia as my graduate student bio.  Check it out.

Funny? Perhaps. Lighthearted? Definitely.

But a few moments ago I did a google search for "Ibram Lassaw" (because I was going to blog about my project) and discovered myself. In a Princess Leia costume. On page 5 of the image results.

Try googling University of Oregon sculpture. Here I am. Page 6.

Sarah Taylor sculpture. Sarah Taylor art history. Sarah Taylor art. Sarah Taylor thesis. Sarah Taylor graduate. Thaaaat's me.

Well, I'm googl-able. And perhaps more noticeable than other art historians (since I'm not wearing a black turtleneck and a scarf). Do people on Ph.D. committees google their prospective candidates? If so, I better be prepared to answer the question, "What led to your decision to submit an unprofessional, informal, cheeky photo? Do you sniff glue, or something." They are going to ask me that for sure. I know! I'll just say I'm interested in the philosophy of performance art on digital platforms. Or, deny everything.

Hmmmm. Maybe I will change my name when I get married.

I suppose I should have submitted one of these:


No comments: