banner

banner

Monday, January 26, 2015

Activities for a Rainy Day

Rainy days inspire tea and books, warm quilts and cuddling with cats. So, naturally when faced with a rainy day, we borrowed some towels, cheap plastic toys, and headed to the beach. When in Rome Southern California, right?

I'm pretty sure the hotel crew thought we were joking when we inquired about surrey bike rentals. The valets were standing under umbrellas in the parking lot, while the kids smiled up at them in their flip flops and swim gear and asked for some beach towels. It really was raining, but rainy weather that is still above 60 degrees, felt better to me than the 30 degrees at home.

Seth was the first in the water at Dana Point.

Who could tire from the "run from the waves" game?


I loved spending time with Morgan on this trip. I had a (mildly overwhelming) solo babysitting gig later on the trip while others ran errands during which Morgan put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Sometimes the babies cry--it's not your fault." When Ellie had a mild breakdown (because she couldn't reach a towel...?), Morgan sat in front of her and said "deep breath, just relax," and little Ellebell took a shuttering breath and suddenly her tantrum was over. There is something special about this big brother. He genuinely loves his siblings and, I think, spends a lot of his time around good parenting. He brings fun and kindness into every situation. Thanks for babysitting me, Morgan--I learned a lot.

This sand adventurer ended up sitting with me and singing Little Mermaid songs pretty quickly, but she got some running in first.

A family hunting for driftwood. They caught one, but ended up releasing it.

Later that night, the twins invented this hilarious office chair game. What did I say about their big brother? Such a good sport.


Yay for a rainy beach day!


No comments: