banner

banner

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Beach Days and Resolutions

Here it comes, a blogging resolution: I will blog more in 2015 than I did in 2014. Bam. Nailed it.

An update? I am enjoying a new job with Salt Lake's finest ballet company. I'm excited to be working in art's administration. My role is best described as an HR role that focuses on dancer's schedules, touring, union compliance, and contracts. I get to plan tours (hoping for Southern Hemisphere!) and act as an intermediary between the artistic staff and the dancers and, in some cases, the executive staff and the dancers. I get independent projects that focus on supporting living artists. So, yeah, it's kind of great. I am also still working in an online teaching position. Michael, as usual, is awesome. Moose, too, is doing well.

Now for the fun stuff.

We've just returned from a trip to California where we got to visit friends and meet up with Michael's family. There is something special about traveling with family -- nothing like 24 hours of together time to force some good bonding. I grew up traveling with cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and family friends and therefore believe in forced bonding.

I met up with Michael in Long Beach after his sales-conference, where we visited family friends, Kevin and Michelle. I thought Kevin was my uncle as a child. I am lucky to have a lot of pseudo aunts and uncles. Kevin and Michelle live about three inches from the beach (ok, a few blocks--but, really, really close) and had all the essential qualities of amazing hosts -- adorable children, beach bike rides, delicious Thai food, and a shower with roughly 80 spigots--never been so clean. There was some light rain during our visit, which the locals found cumbersome, but felt rather amazing to the people who had come from 30 degrees and an inversion.

Backyard avocado trees. 

 Backyard avocado tree tour guide, Ben.

Our walk of the neighborhood included banana trees.

Long Beach, looking downtown.

Bike rides on the beach? I accept this as a great morning.

Here's a picture of me on a bike -- looking trim.

Ben, posing for the action shot.

Michelle and Kevin and their beautiful hobbit children, Timmy and Ben. Excited to visit them again! Calling all my family -- get to Long Beach.






 Good bye, Long Beach. 

No comments: