banner

banner

Monday, October 18, 2010

Eugene, so far.

I should start this post by saying that overall my transition to Eugene has been pretty seamless. I love my program and the people here (after all, what other town has good old fashioned hippies with gray dredlocks?) but my first few nights in town were...difficult.

My parents offered to buy me a bed for my birthday (I know, not as exciting as roller blades or a puppy) so until this past week I've been sleeping on an air mattress. Air mattresses are cold and bouncy--a terrible combination. My first night in my new apartment I woke up on the ground. It was no longer an air mattress, but a sort squeaky tarp. I thought that I just hadn't plugged it correctly and blew it up again. A few hours later my feet were the only part off the ground. Grumble, grumble. Oddly enough I didn't wake up because I was deflating again. I woke up to a weird chirp. I started to blow up my bed again (just like Donald in that old cartoon) and I heard it again. My smoke detector decided to run out of batteries the night I moved in. Lame.

Normally a chirping smoke detector wouldn't be a big problem, but my apartment is sort of a loft and has really high ceilings. About 15 feet high in some parts. I did consider trying to jump up to hit it by bouncing on the air mattress, but ended up using my mad rock climbing skills and a broom to whack it until it stopped. This is my dramatic reenactment.

It took me a long time to get back to sleep because I live next to train tracks that cater to very noisy trains. Every few hours a big train yells "I'm HERE" complete with ringing bells and squeaky brakes. Needless to say, it's completely ruined Thomas the Tank Engine and the Polar Express. Maybe even the train at the zoo...

Luckily, I got a new air mattress and smoke detector the next day and my parents just bought me a bed.

Now all I need to do is master the one way streets (left turn on red? crazy!).

1 comment:

Karissa said...

Well hopefully your bed makes sleeping easier! You'll get used to the train, I lived fairly close to train tracks my whole life and I no longer hear them unless I'm like right next to them. Good luck with sleeping!