banner

banner

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My parents came to see me!



My Dad picked me up from school on Thursday--that hasn't happened since elementary school! Such happiness. With all the Settling and Scrabbling I don't know where we fit in adventures around Eugene, but we had a good time. I got to introduce my parents to the train...and they bought me school spirit paraphernalia--I may become a Ducks fan, but I'll never cheer for the Trailblazers (except for Wesley Matthews).



Climbing was my priority. A few days after I moved to Eugene I took a walk around my neighborhood and discovered a climbing wall. Wha? I moved from a mountainous valley full of climbing glory, but I never lived within walking distance of a rock wall! So, Day 1 had a lot of basalt cracks. My dad didn't get the climbing memo, so he's wearing jeans--how embarrassing.


 I also took them down by the Willamette river (I have no idea how to pronounce this word and keep embarrassing myself in front of the locals). I'm really excited to go down here in a few weeks when green turns to fall colors. Moss and ivy growing on trees? Beautiful.



We went to the Saturday market. Every week, rain or shine, Eugene has three blocks of pottery and other art booths, food and veggies, people who play the mandalin and a lot of dancing hobos (in a good way). I love it. It's like the Salt Lake Art Festival every week, with free admission.


On Sunday we went to the coast. It was like a vacation within a vacation. Tide pools and sandy beaches? Yes please. Too bad the water is freezing.


 









Overall, it was really great to see my family (minus Laura and Rusty). Plus, I got a picture of an over-the-hill mermaid and of my dad, looking like John Wayne. I have to say my apartment feels rather large now with an empty futon.

No comments: