banner

banner

Monday, January 30, 2012

Just in Case

I promise that I'll start writing about my own life at some point in the near future, but lately all I've been thinking about on my walks home (which is when I connect with my inner-blog) is art history. It's lame and wonderful. The class that I'm helping out with the term continues to inspire me.

I want you, mom (since she may be the only person reading my blog) to guess who painted this. It's called First Communion from 1895.


Did you guess Picasso? Probably not.

Now guess how old he was when he painted it.

Did you guess fourteen? Probably not.

Did you see the detail on the carpet? Wowza.

I threw this up here, just in case anyone thought he was making "mistakes" in his later work.

Pablo Picasso, Dora Maar, 1937, Oil on Canvas

I'll take jaggedy portraits of Picasso's super cool photographer wife over first communions any day. I should probably mention that a similar portrait Dora Maar au Chat sold for about $100 million a few years ago. Art Historians never talk about money, but I secretly Google it all the time.

PS-I really think whoever bought Dora Maar au Chat is probably sitting alone in a room in a large velvet chair across from the painting, drinking brandy, and occasionally tossing piles of gold coins in the air.

1 comment:

Lookirby said...

I read this diligently, and I am not your mom. Real cool post, can't believe he painted that at 14....I can't even paint now :/