banner

banner

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tofurky? No thanks.

Thanksgiving is becoming my favorite holiday.

Turkey is a no go and Tofurky is just icky. But! I'm more than happy with the side dishes. My favorite food (besides chocolate) is mashed potatoes. They're delicious. Especially with garlic salt. My mom also makes cheesy onions. They're delicious. Especially with garlic salt. I also worked at Marie Calenders for a few years which left me with a special fondness for pie.

And now for some thoughts on pie:
Rhubarb tastes like medicine, but strawberry rhubarb is delicious.
French apple, a la mode? Mmmm hmmm.
Chocolate Satin is a touch over-rated, but it's much better than chocolate cream.
Finally, Custard looks like thick, yellow mayonaise and tastes like bogeys. Maybe it would be better with garlic salt...
Pumpkin pie is wonderful all year long.

**Let me just say, I'm pleased as punch that I no longer have to wake up at 4:00 am on Thanksgiving morning to sort pies and talk to crazed grandmothers who are missing their banana creams. I'm also glad that I don't have to wear that uniform anymore. Yep, yep.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have a really quiet Thanksgiving with my family. A lot of my extended family is coming to Salt Lake for Christmas this year, so it will probably be just my family for Thanksgiving (and various 22-year-old orphans). I also get to go to Michael's Thanksgiving. This will by third one so I'm a pro--the perpetual girlfriend. EVERYONE in Michael's family gathers at his grandparents. So I'll have a noisy one and a quiet one. Sounds wonderful right?

My other favorite thing about this November? I've been a vegetarian for 10 years. Holla! So, no turkey for me.

No comments: