banner

banner

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Grades smades

I like to think that I'm above letter grades or standardized tests, but who doesn't like to get a score that starts with a 9? After all, a 4.0 is pretty easy...when you major in Family and Consumer Science. Yes, that was insensitive. However, I'm allowed to make jokes because my major also means nothing; an "A" in Museum Studies is nothing to do a backflip about.

I usually lull myself into believing that my interest in education is a romantic pursuit of Knowledge (with a capitol "K"). During the term, I do get a sense of personal satisfaction when I know I've tried my hardest. However, I do get an equally satisfied feeling when someone smarter than me pats me on the head (think the "Teacher's Pet" scene from Guffman). An A- is a thumbs up, but sometimes I need a head pat.

As a graduate student, I thought I was past GPA drama and attendence points. Grad school is about elbow patches, stacks of ancient books in library basements and 3 am eurekas! Right? Nah, I still get points for attendance and have to memorize the occasional flashcards. My classes are hard--I'm proud of that--but, my mood seems to sway dramatically depending on 95s versus 89s. What exactly does a check plus mean? Where's the romance, where are the ELBOW PATCHES?

Oh! That must come when you're working on your doctorate. I better get my PhD. soon. Excuse me, I'm going to go sew fabric onto all my sleeves.

No comments: